Is learning an Asian language a waste of time?

Want to learn an Asian language? Get help here.

Is learning an Asian language a waste of time?

Postby admin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:12 am

So I've been searching for a Chinese wife for around three years now. One of the more dedicated things I did was to sign up to a Chinese language course run at my local University.

The course was pretty good, and the teacher was excellent :D . But has learning Chinese helped me in my search for a Chinese bride?

Hmmmmmm.

My colleague has a Chinese wife, and he's a hardcore, dedicated Chinese language student. He spends many hours memorising Hanzi characters, and he tries to talk in Chinese whenever he can.

Yet I was with him the other day when we were chatting to some Chinese women. You know what - they didn't really understand him!

I've found much the same thing when I was in China. My Chinese teacher was from Wuhan, and my Wuhanese Mandarin wasn't really understood when I tried it out on the Southern Chinese from Guangzhou :oops: .

If you want to learn Chinese to help you find a wife, well I don't think it's gonna help that much. English speaking ladies are quite common, especially on China Love Match and Chinese Love Links. English speaking Thai and Vietnamese ladies are somewhat rarer, but you can find them if you search hard.

Online translation tools are pretty wonderous these days anyway. If you want a Chinese wife then you can install QQ and use the internal realtime language translator.

So are language courses a waste of time? Let us know what YOU think!
Find love at Asian Love Connections. Join today to find your special somebody.

:D :) ;) :( :o :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :roll: :idea: :arrow:
admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand: 15,750.00
Bank: 165.00

Learning Chinese - My Experiences so far...

Postby admin » Mon May 27, 2013 12:13 pm

How to learn Mandarin Chinese:

http://brettb.hubpages.com/hub/Can-You-Learn-Mandarin-Chinese

Wanna date cute Chinese girls? Then learn their language and you'll impress them a heck of a lot :mrgreen: !

admin
Site Admin

First impressions of learning the Thai language

Postby admin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:17 am

Thai language - is it worth learning?

If you're too young to get a retirement visa then the easiest way to live in Thailand is to study the Thai language and get an ED visa that's valid for a year.

But is it actually worth going to the classes?

You'll find that if you live in somewhere like Bangkok or Pattaya, then most of the people you'll need to interact with on a day-to-day basis speak English. I've lived here for two months and haven't needed to use a word of Thai. Which is just as well as I don't know more than a dozen words :lol: .

I've managed to find an apartment, get a mobile phone SIM card, go shopping and even visit the hospital, all without knowing a word of Thai.

Unfortunately I've only been to two out of six Thai classes so far. I'm busy which makes it difficult to attend them, but also I'm not sure it's worth learning Thai.

Even if I became fluent, people would automatically speak English to me anyway, because I look like a foreigner, not Thai people.

For me, learning Chinese was a lot more worthwhile since it's so widely spoken. And also when I lived in China so few people spoke English that it was kind of an emergency to learn some basic Mandarin as quickly as possible.

There are also a few problems with learning Thai. I really liked Rosetta Stone for learning Chinese - it was awesome at helping to commit vocabulary to long term memory. But strangely you can't get Rosetta Stone for Thai, despite Thailand being one of the World's most visited countries.

My biggest bone of contention however is that there's no official standard of writing the Thai language in English. This means that even on official signs and publications you'll see places spelt like "Asok" or "Asoke", or "Ekamai" or "Ekkamai". And when I'm trying to arrange dates, I have to figure out if the place the Thai girl has told me she lived in (Ramkamhang) is actually Ramkhamhaeng :roll: !

Anyway, if you do want to learn Thai, then:

• Find a native speaker who is also a teacher.
  • Study for at least an hour a day.
  • This book looks good for learning the written alphabet.
  • If you want to learn how to pronounce Thai, get a Thai girlfriend and listen to how she speaks :lol: !

admin
Site Admin

Re: Is learning an Asian language a waste of time?

Postby miicky » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:10 am

Do you need to learn any languages before you visit the Philippines ?
miicky

Cash on hand: 252.00

Postby otter899 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:31 am

Finding a lady to marry in Asia is already a waste of time, considering all the effort you have to exert to find them, why bother to learn a new language, look these girls should adopt english or what ever language you are since they will come with you and lived in your country and I assume not the other way around.
otter899

Cash on hand: 552.00

Postby MarkFromHolland » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:53 pm

I think, if you are good at learning language, it could be fun and interesting to learn an Asian language, whether you want to find an Asian bride or don't want to. If you are bad at learning languages I would say don't bother. I find especially Thai extremely difficult. So when in Thailand I stick to English or Thenglish.
MarkFromHolland

Cash on hand: 658.00

Return to Learning Asian Languages