Are YOU a walking ATM machine?

Here we chat about Asian dating in general

Are YOU a walking ATM machine?

Postby admin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:01 am

If you ever date ladies from Asia, then you might encounter the kind of situation that I faced recently...

I met an Issan girl and I liked her a lot. She works 6 days a week in a low paying job, while I'm a farang on an ED visa trying to scratch out a living in Asia. So anyway on the 3rd date she takes me to meet her family (older sister, her Thai husband and 2 chubby kids). They're already in a restaurant and we join them for dinner. Anyway, at the end of the dinner I'm presented with the entire bill, which is 1850 baht. With no job and a 47 baht pound that's a lot of money for me. I paid the bill anyway, but just wondered if I'd been taken for a ride? My farang friends say yes, but my ex-girlfriend thinks that it was the right thing for me to do.

Anyway, I told her I didn't want to see her again. She's really lovely, but I just worry her sister and her husband have other plans for the contents of my wallet :o . I've kind of faced similar issues before within my own family.

So I asked the Thailand guru Stickman as to his opinion of the matter. I'm so grateful that he took the time to answer my email personally:

You'll get the whole gamut of responses to this question about dining out with the family. What I would say is this: If you, as a (perceived) wealthy foreigner invited the lady in question and her family members out for dinner then there would be an expectation that you pick up the bill. However, if you you were invited by them and they acted as the hosts and then shovelled the bill to you, then they have cheated you. That's what I make of the situation. It does rather seem to me that this lady took advantage of you, although the way she may try and explain it away is that she gave you an opportunity to gain face... Bottom line? Don't date poor girls!

Seriously, I truly believe that!

Cheers,

Stick

Wise advice indeed for anyone thinking about finding an Asian bride from Thailand or the Philippines. Maybe also China, although foreigners there tend to date richer girls, since the very poor ones hardly ever speak English or interact with foreigners.

So what would you have done in this situation?
Find love at Asian Love Connections. Join today to find your special somebody.

:D :) ;) :( :o :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :roll: :idea: :arrow:
admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand: 15,750.00
Bank: 165.00

Re: Are YOU a walking ATM machine?

Postby Aubree » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:16 am

This is all too true as there are thousands of foreign men sending money back to their girl friends every month and sometimes the sums of money that are sent over are big enough to support the whole family and extended family.
Aubree

Cash on hand: 100.00

Postby admin » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:36 am

Aubree wrote:This is all too true as there are thousands of foreign men sending money back to their girl friends every month and sometimes the sums of money that are sent over are big enough to support the whole family and extended family.

Yes a lot of ladies in Thailand and the Phillies are supported by guys sending them money. Maybe China also but it's a pain in the ass to send money to China electronically.

As for the walking ATM machine thing, well walking around Bangkok I certainly feel like one.

Like the other day I was with a Thai lady and she wanted to use the bathroom. It was like 4am and we spotted a branch of Subway that was open 24/7. Well I was pretty drunk and have only a hazy memory of things. But I do remember one of the members of staff asking us for 40 baht on the way out, on account of using the bathroom and not buying anything. Never mind that I must have spent close to 2000 baht in that place this year.

I'm kind of glad that I'm fairly wasteful of my money when I'm drunk. Thailand is a VERY dangerous place for a foreigner with no money. If money flows from your wallet then all will be well. But cut off that tap and those men armed with metal bars will come looking for you, even for 40 baht.

Do you think a Thai lady on her own would have been asked for 40 baht. Of course not :lol: !

40 baht is a lot of money in Bangkok. Subway only pays its Sandwich Artists around 55 baht an hour. So their staff can make far more money from extorting money out of drunk tourists.

Anyway, I'm boycotting Subway for a while.
Find love at Asian Love Connections. Join today to find your special somebody.

:D :) ;) :( :o :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :roll: :idea: :arrow:
admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand: 15,750.00
Bank: 165.00

Postby winny44 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:23 pm

The girls never try to understand, they always want to go shopping, but they don't even thing that how much difficult to earn money ....
winny44

Cash on hand: 230.00

Postby kingceltik » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:28 am

if i were you.. i will slap that girl!.. that girl that doesn't deserve it..
kingceltik

Cash on hand: 540.00

Postby Gladimeir15 » Thu May 19, 2016 10:43 pm

Not all asians will do that....surely. So I felt bad for you because you felt you have been robbed in front of you . However, for most asians eating with the family is the best way to present your future partner. The only mistake was that you did not inform the girl that spending much is not in your boundary.. :) :)
Gladimeir15

Cash on hand: 4,318.00

Return to Asian Dating Forum