Visiting Asia? Beware your fellow countrymen!

Post anything related to living or working in Asia

Visiting Asia? Beware your fellow countrymen!

Postby Felix » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:50 am

Visiting Asia? Then don't worry too much about rip off taxi drivers, scamming old ladies, child beggers or corrupt police.

THE MOST DANGEROUS PERSON IN ASIA IS VERY OFTEN YOUR FELLOW COUNTRYMEN

This lunchtime I was in a Bangkok supermarket. I was starving hungry, and looking for something to eat. Anyway, I'm buy the salad country when a fellow Brit came up to me and tried to initiate a conversation.

Due to intution, I was immediately wary of him. On the other hand I'm a friendly guy and I always like to hear what people have to say.

Well he was slow to get to the point but started coming out with a story about being in Nana and a ladyboy stealing his wallet, and could I lend him 40 baht so he could top up his phone? In other words the same same but different story I've heard dozens of times from beggars back home in farangland.

Well needless to say I refused to give him any money, but I did tell him where the British embassy was if he wanted to report a crime or needed help.

Anyway, he started getting nasty, and shouted a whole load of insults at me. After paying for his purchases (so he DID have money) he threw a couple of 10 baht coins at me. Thankfully they didn't hit me or anyone else. I'm just glad that I was in the [relative] safety of a supermarket, and they had plenty of CCTV cameras. If the incident had happened on the street, maybe it would have been a lot worse.

I've no idea what this fellow was after - maybe he just wanted to see how much other money I was carrying in my wallet and would have robbed me some time after I left the store.

I told him I'd call the police but yeah, who am I kidding, there's little they can do in this kind of situation. Besides, with the current political unrest, the police are way overstretched as it is.

Anyway, just another story of why Mr Stickman of Stickman Bangkok is completely justified in keeping a low profile with respect to other farangs here.

And to anyone else who is in Thailand right now, or coming here in the future - never mind scammers, riots or ladyboys: the common farang is your worst enemy here.
As to me, if anyone asks if I speak English, I'll reply to them nein, ich bin Deutche.

Here is Mr Angry leaving the supermarket:

Who is he? If you know, them send me a PM!
Is it worth going to live in a foreign country? Maybe you'd just be HappierBackHome!
Felix

Cash on hand: 3,757.00
Bank: 3,528.00

Re: Visiting Asia? Beware your fellow countrymen!

Postby Gladimeir15 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:51 am

I think it is because of the discipline that was not practiced by each people there. Respecting one another will surely result to a peaceful country.
Gladimeir15

Cash on hand: 4,318.00

Return to Living and Working in Asia