What Can You Eat in China?

Post anything related to living or working in Asia

What Can You Eat in China?

Postby admin » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:24 pm

If you're planning a trip to China in order to meet a Chinese lady, or you're just interested in visiting this wonderful country, then you might worry about what you're going to eat.

Here's some of the food I saw on sale in Hubei Province, central China.

Don't worry if you're not a big fan of Asian cuisine. This place is everywhere in China:

I counted three McDonalds in Foshan alone. In a big city like Guangzhou or Shanghai there are hundreds, maybe thousands of McDonalds outlets.

If you get homesick then you might also find some familiar foods, albeit in unfamiliar flavours:

Yeah, they really were cucumber and kiwi flavoured :o .

A lot of Chinese people do their shopping from the back of trucks:

I can't really recommend this approach. When my Chinese girlfriend at the time bought us some apple things from a man on a bicycle, we both had dodgy stomachs the next day!

Some restaurants have pretty alien food, and if you're not a fan of spicy fried pigs ears or chicken feet, then I can recommend you order a rice dish. I was rather partial to this fruit rice dish that was quite common in Hubei. In this case it came with slices of delicious watermelon:

Find love at Asian Love Connections. Join today to find your special somebody.

:D :) ;) :( :o :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :roll: :idea: :arrow:
admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand: 15,750.00
Bank: 165.00

More Chinese Foods

Postby admin » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:43 pm

Here's some more Chinese food you might encounter if you visit China. The last post's photos were taken in Hubei Province. This time it's Guangdong Province, so the food has much more of a Cantonese influence.

As I wrote in the previous post, if you don't recognise anything you want to eat, then a rice dish is usually a safe option. This is eel fried rice, and it's really delicious (if a little greasy):

This is a set meal of main course, soup and pickles, and costs around $4.95 (in the main business district of Guangzhou).

Various Cantonese dishes, including spring rolls and steamed buns, both of which are popular in Western countries:

Cantonese steamed fish. Chinese people like to know their food is fresh, so this fish would have previously been swimming around a tank outside the restaurant :o :

Another set dish, this time it's rice with cheese and fish. Who said the Chinese never eat dairy?

Well the whole dairy thing is an urban myth, as Pizza is real popular in Asia, especially with women. If you're dating an Asian woman, she'll love it if you take her to an Italian restaurant.

I guess Pizza Hut isn't really authentically Italian. One good thing is that in China no food ever gets wasted. If you can't manage your meal, ask for the leftovers to be put in a box for later eating:

One of my Chinese gf's once took her leftover French fries home from McDonalds. I think that was frugality taken too far :shock: !

Finally, I found a Chinese supermarket and took this haul of win back home with me:

Find love at Asian Love Connections. Join today to find your special somebody.

:D :) ;) :( :o :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :roll: :idea: :arrow:
admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand: 15,750.00
Bank: 165.00

Return to Living and Working in Asia