How Much it Costs to Live in China

Post anything related to living or working in Asia

How Much it Costs to Live in China

Postby admin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:31 am

If you want a Chinese wife, then I recommend you quit your job, put your stuff in storage, give your cat to someone and go live in China :lol: !

Seriously! Living in China is the best way to find a decent Chinese woman.

So how much is it gonna cost?

These are the rough costs I've worked out, as I'm currently trying to relocate to China myself.

All prices are in US dollars and are for a whole month.

Apartment: $300(based on a reasonable place in a fairly modern city like Guangzhou).
Food: $250
Medical insurance: $150 (more if you're older or want a better standard of care, less if you want to take a risk).
Travel: $50
Trip back to the USA (assuming one flight per year): $80
Entertainment: $100
Visas: $20
Bills: $50

So really you're looking at $1000 a month being the magic figure. The figure will also suit you well in the Philippines or Thailand. If anything you'll find that these countries are even cheaper than China.

Cutting costs further:

Generally speaking, the smaller the Chinese city you live in, the lower your costs will be. Some provinces are more expensive than others. Hunan, Hubei and Sichuan are probably the lowest cost while also being moderately Westerner-friendly, having attractive women and weather that's just about bearable.

If you share an apartment then you can pay $150 a month or less. Some apartments include internet access and electricity. Bear in mind most of China gets very cold in Winter, so you'll need heating. And then it also gets very hot in Summer, so aircon is a significant expense.

Routine healthcare is fairly cheap in China, but if you get seriously sick then $$$$ will be needed. The major risk is from accidents and emergencies.

Food is fairly cheap in China, although you'll find that food is getting expensive everywhere these days. Noodles and rice are pretty cheap though, and keep you full all day.

The biggest drain on your wallet will be your Chinese girlfriend. Find a frugal one and all is well :shock: .
Find love at Asian Love Connections. Join today to find your special somebody.

:D :) ;) :( :o :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :roll: :idea: :arrow:
admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand: 15,750.00
Bank: 165.00

Re: How Much it Costs to Live in China

Postby UnsureGuy56 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:59 am

Thanks - any idea of how much it would cost to live in the Philippines? Say Davao?

Thanks in advance.
UnsureGuy56

Cash on hand: 0.00

Postby davidharris542 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:36 am

hey im on ssd that gose with me where ever I go and I can get a little job with out losing it ...and I am tired of America ..it is not the way our fore father wanted it ..ask king Obama
davidharris542

Cash on hand: 247.00

Postby admin » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:41 am

UnsureGuy56 wrote:Thanks - any idea of how much it would cost to live in the Philippines? Say Davao?

Thanks in advance.

Hi UnsureGuy,

Living costs in the Philippines would be much the same as in China. However, I heard electricity is expensive in the Phillies, so if you're going to use the aircon all the time it will get more expensive.

When calculating expenditure you need to factor in accommodation, medical costs, flights to and from the USA (or wherever "home" is), food and general living costs. Finding a frugal girlfriend is pretty important too :lol: .
Find love at Asian Love Connections. Join today to find your special somebody.

:D :) ;) :( :o :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :roll: :idea: :arrow:
admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand: 15,750.00
Bank: 165.00

Postby kano_in_asia » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:43 am

Living abroad costs depends on 2 major factors

where you decide to live - for example Davao is much cheaper than Manila, and Kumning is cheaper than Shanghai.

How well you can adapt to the local standard
For example, in the middle eastern belt few Chinese will heat their apartment in the winter
locals will buy veggies in the wet market, not the grocery store
few use AC
meat is eaten sparingly

You can live quite cheaply in China or the Philippines BUT you have to live more like a local.
kano_in_asia

Cash on hand: 1,979.00

Postby kingceltik » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:50 am

UnsureGuy56 wrote:Thanks - any idea of how much it would cost to live in the Philippines? Say Davao?

Thanks in advance.

well in davao, you can buy thing's very cheap there.. food, etc, and other necessary things that you need.
kingceltik

Cash on hand: 540.00

Return to Living and Working in Asia