Is Asia Safe to Visit?

Post anything related to living or working in Asia

Is Asia Safe to Visit?

Postby admin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:36 am

Is Asia safe to visit?

Before planning a trip to Asia, it's a good idea to check out your government's travel advisories. If you want to know the likely risks for a specific country then the UK government has a great site for this.

I've travelled throughout Asia. In general, Japan and South Korea are very safe. In central Tokyo, I walked around neighborhoods where the residents didn't even lock their bicycles up.

China is generally safe (assuming you stick to the central bits, and not the wild Western provinces).

The Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam generally have more risks.

Petty crime and scams are common in these countries, so always take care with who you talk to.

Violent crime is somewhat rarer. You need to take care in the Philippines, as there are plenty of guns, and criminals who are prepared to use them.

Large numbers of foreigners become victims of crime or other incidents in Thailand. However, it has to be borne in mind that Thailand is by far the most popular tourist destination in SE Asia, and there are simply many more foreigners visiting. Many incidents in Thailand involve bars and alcohol - you should be a lot safer if you stay away from these.

A major hazard are the roads. Roads in China, Thailand, the Philippines and Vietnam are very dangerous! In a place like China, crossing the road is particularly hazardous:

Not that the sidewalks are any safer - I've seen a lot of random piles of rubble in China:

You'll find that many Asians have a deep sense of fate. This means that they often drive poorly, since they reason that their personal destiny is in the hands of the gods :o .

If you're planning a trip to Asia, be sure to take out some sort of health insurance. Minor ailments are cheap and easy to resolve in Asia. However, health care is not free in Asia, and major emergency care can be very expensive.
Find love at Asian Love Connections. Join today to find your special somebody.

:D :) ;) :( :o :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :roll: :idea: :arrow:
admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand: 15,750.00
Bank: 165.00

Re: Is Asia Safe to Visit?

Postby Aubree » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:57 am

Well, Just as with staying safe at home, travel safety in Asia is largely a matter of common sense. However, visiting a new continent does bring a few unexpected new threats of which we rarely have to worry about in the West.
Aubree

Cash on hand: 100.00

Postby admin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:30 am

One thing that's dangerous in most of Asia are the roads.

So please, when you visit SE Asia, then don't drive round in a mode of transport like this:

admin
Site Admin

Thailand Political Troubles - Still Safe to Visit?

Postby admin » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:20 am

Thailand seems to lurch from political crisis to political crisis, and the local TV has carried pretty much non-stop news reporting from various protests that appear to be going on.

I'm not sure how much of this gets reported back home. But Stickman Bangkok raised it in a recent column:

More than a dozen countries have issued travel warnings for Thailand because of these protests, something I strongly disagree with.

...read more here.

So I guess things ARE getting noticed back home.

As a guy who's currently living in central Bangkok, I'd say that life is going on normally here - I've not seen anything of these protests supposedly happening on my own doorstep. In fact I saw way more political protests when I was back in farangland and living in London.

As Stickman himself says, most of these protests are centered on parts of Bangkok that don't tend to get so many foreign visitors anyway. But just be aware that they're sometimes near to Khao San Road. Well if you're older than 23 then you've no real reason to visit that place anyway!

If you're a guy seeking a Thai bride or girlfriend then the areas around Nana, Patpong and Soi Cowboy are carrying on as usual.

It is worth bearing in mind that it's generally A BAD IDEA to talk to Thai people about politics or the monarchy. Religion is a little tricky as well. Just keep them as topics to avoid. Stick to safer subjects like food, weather and Bangkok's terrible traffic problems :roll: .

Anway, if Thailand features in your upcoming travel plans then...

WELCOME!

admin
Site Admin

Thailand Political Situation

Postby Felix » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:31 am

The situation in Thailand is volatile, but the country remains open for visitors.

Here are a few photos from Bangkok.

A big political rally in front of the police HQ. The police have barricaded themselves in:

Anti-government protest right in the heart of tourist district Bangkok. This is right under the BTS Sky Train tracks leading to Siam station. The main shopping malls in the area (including Siam Paragon) were closed while the demonstrations went on:

More anti-government protestors:

The main difference between 2013/2014 and 2010 is that in 2010 it was the red shirts mainly protesting, whereas now it's primarily the more middle class yellow shirts:

If you're visiting Thailand then I'd advise you to stay well away from any political protests. Not least because your travel insurance may be void if you have an incident caused by political trouble.

So all very worrying, but Thailand is still open for business. If you're thinking of visiting then you need to be much more aware of dangerous situations arising from contact with your fellow countrymen here. This English guy came up to me in a supermarket, asked me for money then started insulting me. Finally he threw some coins at me and left:

If you're in Thailand and anyone asks you if you speak English, just say "nein" :roll:
Is it worth going to live in a foreign country? Maybe you'd just be HappierBackHome!
Felix

Cash on hand: 3,757.00
Bank: 3,528.00

Postby GeekyGuy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:30 pm

Asia seems pretty safe despite the occasional problems.

In my family's town in the UK there are loads of shifty looking people walking around - the place has really gone downhill in the last few months. If you think the farangs in Bangkok Soi 4 are scary, try walking around somewhere like Brighton or Portsmouth.
My ladyboy dating adventures... geekdatesladyboy.blogspot.com
GeekyGuy

Cash on hand: 523.00

Postby BarryLindon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:33 am

Some interesting advice and photos here.
BarryLindon

Cash on hand: 243.00

Postby kingceltik » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:44 am

BarryLindon wrote:Some interesting advice and photos here.

yes i agree with you
kingceltik

Cash on hand: 540.00

Return to Living and Working in Asia