How to Earn Money When Living in China

Post anything related to living or working in Asia

How to Earn Money When Living in China

Postby admin » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:33 am

A lot of people were curious about how I made enough money to go and live in China for a while.

I didn't go to teach English, I don't there to take up a job, and I appeared to spend all my time in my Mandarin Chinese class, or travelling around on buses or writing stuff on Internet forums (like this one).

My secret is that I have multiple income sources, which all add up to enough money to here in China, or in fact pretty much anywhere I choose. Actually, in the first four months of living in China, I made MORE THAN ENOUGH money to live there, and was able to put a bit of money aside for the future. Hee hee, I'm just like Chinese people, who on average save 52% of their monthly earnings :o .

My income sources include:

I have rented out my small apartment that I own back in the UK. While I still have a mortgage, the rental income I receive is slightly more than the costs associated with paying the mortgage and managing the property.

I found my first Chinese girlfriend in 2009 and that was when I started thinking about the idea of moving to China. So back in 2009 I instigated a major cash building exercise. I stopped buying just about everything apart from food and essential items. The result was that by the time I quit my job I had a huge war chest of cash in my bank accounts. In fact, my stock market investments now generate sufficient monthly dividends to pay the rent on my Chinese apartment.

The frugal lifestyle really adds up. Save just $3 a day over 3.5 years and you'll amass $3838.50! That's enough money to live in China for 3 months. So stay away from Starbucks and other places that suck the small bills out of your wallet.

In 2002 I started a small software business to sell some shareware I wrote. The software sells for $49.95 a go. The business did well for many years. In fact in April 2008 I actually sold $500 worth of software in a single week.

I do some freelance software development via oDesk. It's very hard to get started on this site, since you're competing against Indians and Bangladeshis who will code for $1.50 an hour. But my niche as a $15 an hour guy is fixing code written by $1.5 an hour guys :lol: .

I do run the Asian Love Connections dating site. I can't say it's a huge money spinner though - I came a bit too late to the online dating business. Even established sites like Elena's Models and Asian Kisses are now in dire financial trouble.

If this all sounds a bit techy, well it is. However, there are a multitude of other ways of making money. The obvious way of making money in China is to become an English teacher. The great thing about this is that most teaching jobs supply you with a free apartment. So then all you have to worry about are day to day expenses.

If you're able to secure a work permit then you'll find many opportunities for one off jobs in China. For example, I once saw a gig that required a couple of tall Western guys to dress as Steve Jobs for an Apple store opening :lol: .

Finally, if you live in somewhere like Guangzhou or Shenzhen then there are all kinds of opportunities for getting involved with exporting Chinese goods to other countries. It's competitive to send goods to the USA or Europe. However, I saw lots of Russian, Middle Eastern and African dudes in Guangzhou sending containers of Chinese stuff back to their own countries.

Oh, and if you have a musical instrument you could always try busking!
Find love at Asian Love Connections. Join today to find your special somebody.

:D :) ;) :( :o :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :roll: :idea: :arrow:
admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand: 15,750.00
Bank: 165.00

Re: How to Earn Money When Living in China

Postby FredAnderson » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:50 am

Interesting story. Mine is somewhat similar - but making money with dropshopping.

Curious: what are the biggest problems you encounter when starting and running a datingsite?
FredAnderson

Cash on hand: 50.00

Postby admin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:56 pm

FredAnderson wrote:Interesting story. Mine is somewhat similar - but making money with dropshopping.

Curious: what are the biggest problems you encounter when starting and running a datingsite?

Hi Fred,

Drop shipping should be a good business to run while you're in China. Just keep an eye on any new products you spot coming out of factories and into the wholesale markets.

Dating sites are hard work. You need to keep out scammers, plus spend $$$$ on getting enough users to make it viable. Plus users always quit the site never to return so you need a constant supply of new members.

Plus if you're not a programmer then you need to get an off the shelf solution or pay $$$ to a programmer and hope they build you something decent.

And from being in the field and dating women I have to say that dating sites are yesterday's story - the future is in mobile apps. Both of the best ladies I've met recently weren't through a dating site, they were found on mobile apps.
Find love at Asian Love Connections. Join today to find your special somebody.

:D :) ;) :( :o :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :roll: :idea: :arrow:
admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand: 15,750.00
Bank: 165.00

Postby kano_in_asia » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:52 am

Not the norm Chinese jobs;

First, I'd say that exporting is a dream. UNLESS you have excellent contacts with distributors, wholesalers, etc back in the West.

Tutoring is an option though it usually means travel to the pupils home.

Teach part-time, off the books.

Voice recording - there is some demand, pay is good but hours are spotty

Teach online

Sales rep

Translation - some companies will pay good money to have you clean up their English

IT work - not to get a 'normal' job, but you could get pulled in as a consultant
kano_in_asia

Cash on hand: 1,979.00

Postby kingceltik » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:49 am

well thanks for the info.
kingceltik

Cash on hand: 540.00

Return to Living and Working in Asia