Thailand and Bangkok

Planning a trip to Asia? Have you already visited Asia? Post your trip reports here!

Thailand and Bangkok

Postby admin » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Here's my trip report from Thailand and Bangkok.

Thailand is a great place to find an Asian wife or girlfriend. Or is it? The guys on the Happier Abroad forum seem to prefer going to the Philippines these days.

In this topic I'll post what I find out about being a single guy in Bangkok :D .
Find love at Asian Love Connections. Join today to find your special somebody.

:D :) ;) :( :o :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :roll: :idea: :arrow:
admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand: 15,750.00
Bank: 165.00

My First Impressions of Thailand and Bangkok

Postby admin » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:24 pm

I came to Bangkok directly from China. After having spent around 4 months living in China, Bangkok created a fair amount of culture shock for me :oops: :oops: :oops: .

I guess it was kind of living in a communist country, then moving to a capitalist one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Well the first thing that I noticed was that there were bars in Thailand! The Chinese don't really do bars, or go to bars - they're too busy working!

Obviously other things caught my eyes - like bar girls and ladyboys :lol: ! Neither are particularly common in China, although China has many, many KTV bars and massage joints.

A lot of other things about Bangkok surprised me on my first visit to Thailand. In the taxi journey from the airport to my hotel, my initial impressions were that Bangkok looked a lot like Japan. It certainly looked nothing at all like China. In fact when seen from a distance, downtown Bangkok looked eerily similar to the Tokyo bay area.

Bangkok is also a heck of a lot cleaner than China. And it seems a lot more civilised as well. It's quite rare for cars to use their horns in Thailand, whereas if a Chinese driver gets held up by traffic for more than 5 seconds then he resorts to sounding his horn. Which is really, really irritating if you live next to a road :o .

Other things caught my eye in Bangkok. Like the little Buddhist shrines that are outside most homes and businesses. They're really neat. And I also couldn't fail to miss all the street cooking stalls on which the locals rely on so much. I have to say that they're absolutely right - the street food is often far better than what you can get in a restaurant - and much cheaper too!

As to Thai ladies, well they looked a lot different to how I imagined them to look. They're actually fairly tall. And they don't look much like Chinese ladies at all.

So that's it for intial impressions. Photos of Bangkok will follow...

admin
Site Admin

Photos of Bangkok

Postby admin » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:10 am

Some photos of Bangkok. Hopefully they'll give a bit of a feel for what it's like to actually visit or live there...

Bangkok is a big, sprawling city, and it can take a while to get around. It doesn't help that of the big cities I've visited or lived in around the world, Bangkok has the least well developed rapid transport network. So if you come here, then expect to spend a portion of your life sitting in traffic:

Thankfully as a self-employed expat, I can avoid travelling during the morning and evening rush hours. Still, traffic jams are likely to occur at any time of the day :o .

One way round the traffic problem is to travel by motorbike. There are a lot of motorcycle taxis, that can be convenient if you want to go from A to B in a hurry...

Given how many hideous motorcycle accidents happen in Thailand each year, I recommend you give these a miss. And hardly anyone cycles either.

Still, if you have to travel, then walking is quite pleasant here. The central streets are fairly clean and well maintained. Is this an overly large shopping bag or are these Thai ladies just very small? You decide...

Nana in central Bangkok is a good place for eating and meeting short term girlfriends/ladyboy girlfriends. Here's a typical Nana street - with lots of traffic, a Tuk-Tuk or two and of course those famous street cooking stalls. Street food is cheap and usually better than what you'll get served up in an expensive restaurant!

Another street - again pretty clean. Not surprising, as this is in the most upmarket part of central Bangkok. This place has a pretty good shrine that's worth a quick visit:

Spend any time in Thailand and you'll notice little shrines everywhere. It's something that was really missing from culturally dead mainland China. The first hotel I stayed in in Bangkok had this rather cool indoor shrine:

Unfortunately those offerings didn't please the wifi gods, and I had to endure a couple of weeks of terribly unreliable Internet access :oops: . This is something you'll come to expect if you visit Thailand and bring your computer or iPad :P !

admin
Site Admin

Man Goes into Ladyboy Gogo Bar

Postby admin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:05 am

Mindful of my poor skills at spotting ladyboys on Thai Love Links, a friend of mine took me into a ladyboy gogo bar in Bangkok.

Here's my trip report from said visit.

Sorry, no photos as one can only imagine what were to happen if you got spotted secretly taking photos in a bar full of tall ladyboys :lol: .

Anyway, if you want to check out a ladyboy gogo bar for yourself then you'll find several in Nana Plaza in central Bangkok. There are also plenty of ladyboys going about their business in Soi 4, right opposite the Nana Hotel. In fact you'll find that some/most/all of the tall sexy ladies walking around Soi 4 are in fact ladyboys. They're becoming incredibly popular these days for some reason.

Back to the club, and the bar I visited was on the lower level of Nana Plaza, right at the back. The bar is more popular with Asian (mainly Japanese guys) and so the ladyboys in the bar are the types that Japanese guys tend to prefer. Ladyboy wise this means slighter frames, and cute looking faces.

Western guys tend to prefer the ladyboy bars on the upper level of the Plaza.

So my friend and I went in the bar and were ushered to our seats, which had a good view of the stage. We bought a couple of drinks, which weren't that cheap. Gogo bars in Bangkok tend to be way more expensive than those in Pattaya (my Pattaya report is here). Price-wise, drinks were the same as pubs are back in England. Still, in Nana you get to see a lot more interesting stuff than you would back in boring old Britain :roll: !

The bar I visited had a raised, central stage, with seating all around the sides. There are poles on the stage, but not much pole dancing or wild behaviour was going on. In fact it was rather staid compared to the wild, wild bars of Pattaya.

At any one time, the stage is populated by 7-8 ladyboys, who do a bit of dancing and flirting with the audience. If you don't like a girl, then it's best to avoid making eye contact :o .

The ladyboys move around a bit so that you can get a good look and decide on your favourite.

I didn't observe any bitchy behaviour. However, there was a fair amount of preening going on - much more than I'd ever seen in a female gogo bar :lol: .

One ladyboy had a bit of a bad-ass attitude, but the others were pretty sweet and obviously enjoying being in the spotlight.

The ladyboys were quite anxious that we should buy them lady drinks (from which they get a cut of the income). But as I say, if you avoid eye contact and don't initiate conversation then you can just hang about in these bars observing human life.

As to the ladyboys, well it was interesting seeing a whole load of ladyboys in real life. I must say that most of them had legs that were way better than any Thai women I've seen :lol: . Also Thai women don't usually shave their legs unless they're hiso or gogo dancers themselves - maybe this is a good way to spot ladyboys in real life :D . Kind of not so useful with dating sites though.

Most (maybe all) of the ladyboys in the bar were pre-op. I've heard this is the type of ladyboy that guys prefer. One or two of the ladyboys had very short, underwear revealing dresses on, so it was kind of obvious that they were pre-op.

Other than what's in their underwear, the most obvious way of telling ladyboys from ladies is that ladyboys tend to have more masculine looking faces. There's also no real disguising their voices. While she can look very convincing as a female, when a ladyboy opens her mouth the game is usually up. Although I can understand guys coming to Thailand and being taken in. Jetlag and beer clouds judgement. And when I'm riding on public transport in Bangkok I always love a bit of ladyboy spotting. Frequently it's very hard indeed to decide if a hot lady is really a ladyboy :oops: .

Anyway, while my friend was in the bar's loo, one of the ladyboys faked being hot and fanned her face with her dress top, exposing her breasts. They were pretty decent, and an awful lot of ladies would have been envious of them. Especially in Thailand, where the other day I was watching an infomercial TV show about breast implants and other ways of making more of your feminine assets.

Incidentally, the bar staff in the club are all ladyboys as well, but kind of 2nd tier ladyboys rather than the showgirls up on stage. Anyway, they seemed pretty friendly, and a few were talking to some of the punters in the club.

So that was my visit to a ladyboy bar. I prefer Asian ladies rather than ladyboys, but if you're a ladyboy lover and you want to take things to the next level then check out the ladyboy profiles on Asian Love Connections, Ladyboy Kisses or MyLadyboyDate.

admin
Site Admin

Torrential Rain in Bangkok!

Postby admin » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:44 am

If you're coming to Bangkok, then be aware that the rain here can be of biblical proportions :o . The rain is often very localised, so it can be hard to predict.

Last night central Bangkok got hit by a tremendous thunderstorm. The Thai Meteorological Agency reported 10.42 mm of rain in 24 hours, most of it coming down in a single hour. A few miles in the local airport, there was barely any rain recorded at all.

Well if you do find yourself in this situation, then just relax and go sit in a bar or coffee shop for a while. Bangkok is a 24/7 city and plenty of places never close.

Fortunately this time I was caught outside a 7-11:

This street cat looks unfazed, and has clearly seen it all before:

This is Sukhumvit during the downpour. Sukhumvit is Bangkok's most important road:

After about an hour of torrential rain the road had pretty much turned into a river, and I saw traffic cones and even a car bumper floating past...

But when the heavens open, you just gotta keep on cooking:

So the main roads were pretty bad, but the smaller side streets were horrendous. Here's what came between me and my hotel:

At least a foot of water, which was even deeper in some places. Thank goodness I knew the road well, so managed to avoid falling over :oops: ...

When the rain hits, suddenly all the taxis in the city become busy:

For a while, it looked like the end of the world...

admin
Site Admin

Re: Thailand and Bangkok

Postby admin » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:57 am

Why most guys want to come to Bangkok:

Maybe this isn't such a good street to find a wife. But it's sure as hell a great place to find a cute girl to hang out with for an hour or two.

Now if only the beer here wasn't so darned expensive :oops: .

admin
Site Admin

More Bangkok Photos

Postby admin » Sat May 24, 2014 7:59 am

Here's a few more photos of Bangkok. If you're thinking about taking a trip to Asia, then this vibrant city is a must see.

Thailand's also a pretty good place to find an Asian bride, even if things aren't as good as they were a couple of decades ago :( .

Bangkok is a big, modern city with plenty of futuristic looking buildings:

On the downside, below the futuristic elevated train tracks it's pretty chaotic down there, with lots of traffic jams and sidewalks rammed with little stalls (and the occasional pickpocket).

Here's a typical Bangkok traffic jam:

If you're going to the airport by taxi, make sure you allow plenty of time!

The afternoon I arrived in Bangkok, it took me almost 3 hours to get to my hotel. I should have taken the airport rail-link :oops: .

Away from the centre of the city there's usually a bit less traffic. But it's somewhat rare to see foreigners venture this far out of town, unless they're off to visit an elephant or tiger zoo or they need to renew their visa in the immigration department.

Anyway, I recommend you take a few trips away from the centre. If you're looking for a wife or girlfriend, you'll find better long term potential away from Sukhumvit's bars...

The pace of life in the suburbs tends to be less frantic as well:

Incidentally, this street dog is so bloated from a diet of 7-11 snacks that it's hard to imagine it menacing anyone. But if you are thinking about taking your first trip to Thailand then I'll warn you about dogs. There are a heck of a lot of dogs in Thailand! At day they laze around avoiding the heat of the midday sun. But by night they can turn vicious, especially in packs.

I had a few close encounters with nasty looking dogs in Thailand. They can start following you if they think you have food, and they're also fiercely territorial. The best defence I found was to avoid back lanes as much as possible, and always carry an umbrella. Thais tend to "train" dogs by hitting them with sticks, so most dogs in Thailand have a pathological fear of anything shaped like a stick.

You shouldn't need to physically hit a dog, but standing your ground, shouting and waving your umbrella is usually enough to ward them off.

So Thai people like dogs. They also like festivals. If you're going to Thailand in the Autumn then it's worth trying to get there for Loi Krathong. This is a festival when Thai people head to the rivers and float beautiful flower filled wreaths and sculptures down the river. It really is a spectacle:

I had a memorable date with a very beautiful woman on Loi Krathong night - it's a great occasion for taking a special lady out for the night.

You'll find that Thai people in general are very superstitious. Most houses and businesses have spirit houses outside:

The tables are for placing offerings. Visiting a temple is another good date idea if you're going to meet a Thai lady. She'll be very impressed if you show an understanding, and appreciation of her religion and beliefs.

Thai people also seem to love motorbikes, and they're very numerous in Thailand:

You can hire a motorbike in somewhere like Pattaya for as little as 150 baht a day. But before you do so, just bear in mind the scary road traffic accident statistics that the country has.

Another national obsession is shopping. Shopping malls are very popular, not least because they allow some respite from the relentless heat.

6 months in Thailand and the lowest temperature I experienced was 21C.

I'd say the best shopping mall in Bangkok is Terminal 21. How I miss it...

Finally, this being a dating forum, here's a couple of Thai ladies. Actually the girl on the left looks more like Chinese:

I kind of like the "Buy" and "Rent" signs on the left of the photo. It made me remember that Thailand is one place where it's so easy to rent a female or "buy" one (i.e. get married). Rent or buy - women will cost you dearly whatever choice you make :roll: .

admin
Site Admin

Return to Trip Reports