Malaysia and Kuala Lumpur

Planning a trip to Asia? Have you already visited Asia? Post your trip reports here!

Malaysia and Kuala Lumpur

Postby admin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:38 am

Here's the report of my trip to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

For guys seeking Asian brides I guess Malaysia isn't the obvious choice of destination. However, it's a pretty interesting place, and well worth a visit.

I was only there for a week, and I didn't meet any ladies. Still, I did a little investigation of the dating scene. More on that later :D .
Find love at Asian Love Connections. Join today to find your special somebody.

:D :) ;) :( :o :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :roll: :idea: :arrow:
admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand: 15,750.00
Bank: 165.00

Photos of Malaysia and Kuala Lumpur

Postby admin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:46 am

My, how Asia has changed. Malaysia has thrown off its colonial roots, and is now a modern, thriving 21st century city. Public transport is generally good, and it's easy to reach the main attractions:

As Asian cities go, Kuala Lumpur (KL for short) is not particularly big. Here's a model of the central downtown area:

If you're reasonably fit, then you can just about walk between the main parts of downtown.

Obviously, KL is best known for the Petronas Twin Towers - the iconic buildings with a bridge between them:

They're pretty stunning when seen from a distance, especially at sunset when they appear to glow. Sadly it's really expensive to go up inside the towers - I found that a lot of Malaysian tourist attractions were very expensive :roll: .

KL's other well known landmark is the KL Tower, as seen from my ChinaTown hotel room window:

And so to ChinaTown. If you're on a budget, then ChinaTown offers plenty of low cost hotel/hostel options. Plus it's right near a few metro stations so it's a good base to explore the rest of the city.

Petaling Street is in the heart of ChinaTown, and it offers a mixture of shopping and eating:

The market gets crowded day and night - watch your belongings.

Most Western people I saw around ChinaTown tended to be younger backpackers, or older couples using KLIA as a Hub stopover en route to other places in SE Asia.

More ChinaTown food stalls:

Street dining is a way of life in Malaysia, just as it is in Thailand. But in Malaysia, the food tends to be more Indian-like.

Malaysia is a Muslim country, but it's fairly moderate. I found both alcohol and pork on sale. The downside is that beer is very expensive in Malaysia - almost twice the price of Thailand (which isn't that cheap for beer either!).

One sign of Malaysia being a Muslim country is that trains have women-only carriages:

Although I should point out I also saw these in Tokyo, Japan.

The trains have warnings about not engaging in indecent behaviour:

If only Western trains would follow suit!

On the whole though, Malaysia is a pretty successful example of a modern multicultural society. While Islam is the official religion, there are plenty of Hindu, Christian and Buddhist shrines/churches. Here's a statue outside a Chinese temple:

So what else is there to do in and around Kuala Lumpur?

For me, the highlight was the Batu Caves complex (or should I say komplex?). Easily reachable from KL Sentral station, it's a great afternoon day trip out of the city.

A huge statue nearly 50M high guards the entrance to the caves:

There are 272 steps to the cave mouth. The steps are very steep, and to complicate things they're home to a large number of these:

Make sure you don't have any loose items on you - monkeys are very fond of water bottles and of course any type of food :lol:.

The caves themselves are pretty big. Not the biggest in Malaysia, but maybe the most accessible:

The caves are home to a number of very important Hindu shrines. There are a large number of statues dotted around the caves. Some people think they need a fresh coat of paint, but I think their appearance just adds to the mysticism of the place:

There are more temples outside the caves:

And if you're hungry after all that stair climbing, there are a number of restaurants:

Batu Caves is a pretty good experience. Even if you're not religious you'll pick up the spiritual aura of the place :P .

Closer to central KL is a bird park. It's a little expensive, but it's another good afternoon's outing.

Some of the park's attractions are very friendly indeed, and will gladly help you finish your snacking:

For nature lovers, it's also a chance to see some wildlife in a natural(ish) habitat:

Finally, I took the number 43 bus from outside the Bangkok Bank in central KL to the wonderful Kanching Waterfalls. They're about a 50 minute bus journey outside the city, on the bus to Rawang.

If you want to have the falls to yourself (like I pretty much did), then DON'T visit on a weekend or public holiday!

It was fun to explore the rainforest, even if it did look very much like the countryside back in my native England. About the only difference was the humidity, and the presence of some very large ants :o . Oh, and more monkeys, although they were content to just hang out by the car park and visitor centre :mrgreen: .

So all in all Kuala Lumpur is worth a few day's visit. I'll also add that the airport is excellent - maybe the best in SE Asia. So it's a good choice of a hub to fly to and from your home country. It's certainly the first airport I've visited that has a small rainforest in the terminal :shock: .

admin
Site Admin

The Dating Scene in Malaysia

Postby admin » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:58 am

As promised, here's a quick overview of what I found out about the dating scene in Malaysia. In particular, how a Western guy could find an Asian bride from this country.

As far as Asian brides go, Malaysia is a way, way, less popular destination than are Thailand, the Philippines or China. Why this is I'm not sure - maybe Malaysia has been overlooked for too long.

Malaysia has some good things in its favour. Firstly the country is very ethnically diverse. So whatever your tastes in women, you'll probably find plenty to interest you there. Secondly it's really easy to visit if you have a passport from most Western countries. For example, as a British national I got a 90 day visa on arrival at KLIA. No none of that arsing around that I had to do to get a China visa :shock: !

Malaysia is also not too expensive to visit - I found it was around the same price as Thailand. The only downer was the price of alcohol!

As to ethnic diversity - there are ladies in all shapes, sizes and skin tones in Malaysia. I guess the Chinese ladies would be of most interest to Western guys seeking Asian brides. There are a lot of Chinese ladies in Malaysia, and I saw loads in Kuala Lumpur. Personally I think Malaysian-Chinese ladies are far more numerous than are Thai-Chinese ladies in Thailand.

Malaysia is a pretty good place to go if you like Chinese ladies. The additional advantages of Malaysian-Chinese ladies are that they're more Westernised, and there's less of a cultural barrier than there would be if you were to date a Chinese woman from the mainland. Many Malaysian-Chinese ladies also speak good English. English is very much a language of business in Malaysia. I also saw quite a few Chinese people in Malaysia speaking English to Malay people.

If you like curvy Chinese ladies then Malaysia is a particularly good place to find them! I saw a few BBW type Chinese ladies in Kuala Lumpur. There were more than I ever saw in mainland China. I guess it's because Malaysian food is just so much better than anything I ever ate in China :mrgreen: .

So how to meet Malaysian ladies online?

I wanted to meet some Malaysian Chinese ladies, so I tried Chinese Love Links. Unfortunately there weren't that many ladies in Malaysia with profiles on this site, so it was a bit of a dud for me :oops: .

Next up, I tried DateInAsia. I've never been that lucky on this site, but it's free to use so I thought I'd give it a go.

The site doesn't have nearly as many members from Malaysia than it does from say the Philippines or China. Still, I found a few profiles I was interested in and sent a few emails and interests. I had a few replies, but sadly nothing progressed quickly enough to get to the first date stage :cry: .

I also tried some mobile dating, especially WeChat. I found a couple of people I liked the look of, but nothing really came of that either. Incidentally, WeChat is a good place to find a few Malaysian ladyboys. There are quite a few ladyboys in Malaysia, but being a Muslim country they tend to be less open about their sexuality than they might be in Thailand or the Philippines.

If I'd have been spending more time in Malaysia then I would have tried Malaysian Cupid. This is well worth checking out if you're in Malaysia for any length of time and want to sample the local dating scene.

Finally, if you have any good information about Malaysia or meeting Malaysian ladies, then register for the forum and add your comments in this thread!

admin
Site Admin

Return to Trip Reports